Wednesday, April 25, 2007

(Star Trek: New Frontier, No. 1) House of Cards

Title: "House of Cards"
Date Published: 1997
Author/s: Peter David
Main Plot:
----------
Sector 221-G, what used to be the Thallonian Empire is now a chaotic region on the fringes of Federation Space. Starfleet sends in Captain Mackenzie Calhoun and the crew of the U.S.S. Excalibur to help where they can and represent the Federation to the unstable governments of worlds on the brink of self-annihilation.

My Short Review:
-----------
The book starts the series off by introducing key members of what will soon be the crew of the U.S.S. Excalibur, namely Mackenzie Calhoun, Selar and Soleta. I appreciate this especially because the crew of the Excalibur is anything but ordinary. As Starfleet was still rebuilding from the destruction left by the Dominion War, the crew was put together without consideration for group dynamics. But that's what make a good story, doesn't it? Anyway, here are my thoughts on the crew members featured in this one.

The young Mackenzie Calhoun reminds me of James T. Kirk and his charisma, only this time he would have some Klingon blood and their ferocity. Leading the Xenexian revolt against the occupation by Danteri off-worlders, he was obeyed without question by his followers. If he asked them to cut their own heads off, they would have. That kind of charisma is hard to find. Peter David does well here to make me feel it for myself.

Nothing can feel worse than the loss of a loved one, more so if your a Vulcan on the throes of Pon farr. Selar, an experienced physician on the U.S.S. Enterprise-E, goes home to Vulcan to fulfill a promise, only to lose the person dearest to her in the most devastating way. Her "logic" directs her to take a position on the U.S.S. Excalibur, the ship that will take her farthest away from all that reminds her of that loss. I grieved with her while reading her story. Do Vulcans grieve? I guess I'll find out in the next books of the series.

Another Vulcan destined to join the crew of the Excalibur, Selar's story starts off on the Thallonian homeworld. On a personal mission to satisfy her curiosity, a trait unusual to Vulcans, Selar encounters someone oddly familiar. A meeting that would lead to her eventual assignment to the Excalibur. I sense some deep dark secrets to this one.

At the time I finished reading this one, I wasn't sure what to be excited about. Will it be the new aliens the Excalibur will encounter in this new sector of space or how the crew will deal with each other? I guess I'll find out. This booked got me, hook, line and sinker.

My Overall Rating:
------------------
Since this is the first time I will be rating a book, here's how I will do it. I will rate books I like and therefore recommend with pips, from one pip (Ensign) to 4 pips (Captain). Books I did not enjoy much I will still review but will remain without pips or an overall rating. It might even contain a nitpicking section.

This one I award 3 pips (Commander)

No comments: