Friday, May 4, 2007

(Star Trek: The Original Series, No. 09) Triangle

Title: "Triangle"
Date Published: 1983
Author/s: Sondra Marshak
Main Plot:
----------
A new power is growing in the galaxy. A power so irresistible that few can stand up against it. Captain Kirk and Spock are joined by Free Agent Sola Thane in the ultimate battle between the seductive forces of the Totality and Oneness. Individuality and freedom are caught in between as the titans struggle for control of the Enterprise and her crew, and the fate of the galaxy.

My Short Review:
-----------
This book reminds me so much of the horrors of Borg assimilation, only it is increased tenfold here. Not that any of us have experienced it, but I'd rather be assimilated into the Borg Collective than be consumed by this new threat. Totalitarianism has always been resisted in our history, but this time, it is so subtle, we won't even feel it. Fighting back doesn't come to mind and that's scary. You realize the scale of things very slowly until you're just past the middle of the book, and then it hits you. Wow! I pray this threat will never come to pass.

Captain Kirk and Spock's friendship is put to a test, like I've never seen, as an irresistible woman gets in the mix complicating things further. This has to be the deepest test of any friendship. Sondra Marshak describes the strain on each of their minds so vividly that I can't help but wince in imaginary pain myself.

My Overall Rating:
------------------

No comments: